MAchar AZA #1887
Let's start with the Basics.
What is bbyo?
- BBYO (formerly B'nai B'rith Youth Organization) is the leading pluralistic teen movement aspiring to involve more Jewish teens in more meaningful Jewish experiences. For 90 years, BBYO has provided exceptional identity enrichment and leadership development experiences for hundreds of thousands of Jewish teens.
- Basically a place for Jew's of all kinds to interact, connect, and learn with other Jewish teens in the area.
- BBYO is spread all across the world with many regions created in locations with a sufficient amount of Jewish teens are present.
What's a Region?
- Regions are a collective of chapters( go down to find definition) in a set area. MAchar is part of Central Region West, a region spanning from San Francisco to Los Altos.
what is a Chapter?
- Chapters are designated groups of Jewish teens in a certain location. For example, MAchar is the chapter that has the territory from Burlingame to Foster City to San Carlos.
- Each chapter is run by a board, which is structured below.
How does Board work?
This is specifically MAchar’s board currently, some chapters have special board positions that are added, and some chapter’s have less board positions. For example, MAchar recently added the board position of “Shotare Godol” due to lack of order at business meeting’s.
- Aleph Godol*: President. Is in charge of the management of the board, and the wellbeing of the chapter. Handles parent communications and member behavior. Runs business meetings and represents MAchar throughout its best and worst to CRW and the community at large.
- Aleph S’gan*: Is in charge of all events and making sure there is quality programming as well as covers the logistics related to events such as rides, hosting, and whatnot.
- Aleph Moreh*: Vice president of recruitment. Spearheads recruitment and educates aleph's about the traditions of MAchar, CRW, and AZA. In charge of upholding the chapter’s fraternity.
- Aleph MAzkir: Runs chapter communication. Makes sure that the chapter knows what’s happening when, and makes sure aleph's comes to events. Takes minutes at business meetings.
- Aleph Shaliach: In charge of the community service aspect of MAchar. Organizes community service events and donation to our Stand Up cause.
- Aleph MAdrich: In charge of the Judaic and Israel advocacy programming in MAchar. Makes sure that MAchar remains Jewish and knowledgeable about Israel.
- Aleph Gizbor: Treasurer. In charge of chapter funds. Fundraisers for the chapter and creates apparel.
- Aleph Sopher: Upkeeps the chapter website, as well as runs other social media and (should) be creating our termly newspaper.
- Alephs Historian Shotrim: Takes pictures at events. Uploads them. Seems like a small position, but when someone in 2 years’ time looks at the pictures you took, that’s a big deal.
- Aleph Shotare Godol: Creates business meeting agendas, and makes sure the business meetings are productive.
- Aleph Kohen Godol: Traditionally the last Godol, serves as a mentor to the godol and any Aleph who seeks counsel.
what is an Event?
- Events are held every saturday from 6:00PM to 10:00PM except when it is a holiday, a regional convention, or some other interference with the date or time.
- Event’s will usually be held in MAchar’s territory, which is from Burlingame to Foster City to San Carlos, and rides will not be provided and a 5$ fee is required to pay for food and supplies.
- Sometimes events will be outside the territory, and rides will be planned by the S’gan with parents helping drive teen’s to the other chapters territory. A 5$ fee will still be required as compensation for food and supply costs.
How do i contant someone in charge?
- Easiest way is to go to this link to contact the current godol or the current advisor. Fill out what the issue/concern/question is and hit “send”
- If that does not work to your pace, contant the godol directly by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org with the issue.